I have Spinal Muscular Atrophy.
SMA is a nerve disorder which, in my case, progressed to a point then
stopped. The result of this progression put me in a wheelchair at age ten.
I knew at an early age that as I grew older I would lose the ability to do
some things for myself. In an attempt to hold on to as many of these
abilities as possible for as long as possible I developed a stuborn streak.
I also developed the habit of telling new friends the truth about my
condition. When I met Kristen, I blurted out the whole ugly truth. That as
I grew older I would need more and more takeing care of. I didn't gloss it
over. If anything, I painted a picture garunteed to drive her away complete
with an early death from heart or lung failure.
To my surprise, she did not run.
One of my greatest fears is that she may yet start running.
Therefore I set out to do the imposible, love one person to the absolute
exclusion of all others to the point that maybe, she might love me enough
to hang in there when the going got rough.
Am I being selfish? Yes, but I am putting everything I have into it,
holding nothing back. If Kristen calls and says she needs me
I will climb mountains to get to her side. I will enlist whatever aids,
friends, coworkers, or equipment necessary to succeed.
I will play the fool, or become absolute dictator if it will get me to
where she is.
Have I achieved my goal? I don't know. It is still a work in progress. When
she married me she did so knowing what my physical self would probably be
like later in life.
Then PD got added to the mix. I'm using a powered wheelchair sooner
than I expected. I need more help sooner than I expected.
Will she leave me? I know only that she says she will not.
She knows I will not leave her.

Marvin Giles