Bonnie:

You asked about new home construction with consideration for PD.  I am
currently having a new home built and although I too am doing fairly well at
the present, I wanted to be prepared for the future.  While not doing
anything extreme, the changes I have made will definitely be beneficial and
my builder says they will also enhance the house should I need to sell it
someday.  Although I have a downstairs (my house is on a hillside), I have
put my bedroom and living areas all on the main floor.  I can close off the
downstairs -2 bedrooms, baths, den, & storage rooms- when it is not being
used. My additions include:

1.   Open floorplan.  You can walk from the front entry to the great room,
kitchen,
      dining room, my office without having to open any doors.

2.    Hallways should be wider than standard  -1/2' to 1' wider.

3.    Doors should also be wider.
       Use "pocket doors"  when possible.  (I have six --in laundry room,
master bath,
       double p. doors for office, &  some downstairs.)

4.    For shower and bathtub, install a hand-held spray fixture.  They can be
used
       both ways -attached to a wall bar or by hand.  I am installing a large
shower
       with a bench seat.

5.    Don't forget wall bars as safety features in the bath --in the shower,
at the edge
       of bathtub, and on wall next to toilet.
       Re toilet:  they come in all sizes now, so it's easy to find a taller
on if you need
       it.

6.    Stairways:  put a handrail on both sides of the stairs.  (Most houses
have a rail
       on only one side.)

7.    Be sure to:  use solid flooring or short-weave carpet.  No area rugs.

8.    Faucets.  Buy faucets that are operated by one-hand,  or faucets with
lever-style
       handles rather than ball handles.

9.    Also use lever-style handles on all doors, instead of round door knobs.

--Gosh!   I didn't realize I'd done so much!  There are still many more
things you can do and I found most of these ideas in building magazines and
in disability information.  It just takes a little bit of searching and
reading.  Good Luck!

Rosemary Russell