David Moreland wrote about:

> . . . a man named "John" who is newly diagnosed.  His Neuro has
> told him thay he has 15 years to live and should probably stop
> working soon. . . . It seems like he is withdrawing from society. .
> . . Could some of you give me some ideas of how I could help
> "John".

It sounds like your friend is depressed, perhaps as part of his PD
condition.  (The neurologist may be depressed as well.)  It is a
problem to help people who are depressed, since they have little
motivation.

One thing to try is to call the National Foundation for Depression
1-800-248-4344 for advice.  They have a web site
http://www.depression.com. There is also an internet newsgroup
alt.support.depression.

Phil Tompkins