Ivan, you wrote:

>   I have meanwhile (May 31) gotten the opinion of a neurosurgeon,  Dr.
>Gerhart Vries at Rhode Island Hospital, and HE RECOMMENDS BILATERAL
>PALLIDAL STIMULATION, NOT PALLIDOTOMY for me!!

You're probably aware that pallidal stimulation has been done in the US as
well as overseas and in Canada.  Dick had his done in '95 and '96 at the
University of Kansas Medical Center as part of an experimental program.  Dr.
Steven Wilkerson continued to perform the surgeries until recently, when the
FDA required that they halt until all the research data was in.

KU is now beginning a new program of performing sub-thalamic nucleus implants
for PD.  Dick's neuro, Dr. William Koller, was enthusiastic about results
he'd seen when the surgery was performed experimentally in Florida.  As of
last week, KU had done three sub-thalamic nucleus implants.

I believe that the new bilateral implants are done simultaneously, although
I'm not sure of that.  They were done separately for pallidal stim.  The cost
for one pallidal stim was $18,000 roughly.  For bilateral, with only one
hospital stay and one surgery, it wouldn't be much moe than that.

Feel free to write to me directly if you want more info.  Margie