Ken,

I saw Joyce's note about the kitchen cabinets.  That is being done a lot
in this area too.  The dishwasher cabinet is raised enough so you don't
have to bend down to load or unload and would be the right height for
someone in a wheelchair also.  In new construction there is often a
built-in oven with a microwave above.  Keep the built-in oven at a
higher level (high enough for no bending) and I recently read that the
microwave should be at about waist high level NOT up above oven where
getting anything hot out and dropping it would spill the hot contents
on your chest/torso area.

I believe it is Kohler that makes a kitchen sink that can be raised or
lowered and I think it can go from 42 inches high to be comfortable for a
tall person and lowered to 30 for wheelchair access.  (However,
everything I know I either read or made up so double checking would be in
order.)

All my base cabinets will be drawers with the deepest one at the top so I
don't have to lift the largest/heaviest items from the lowest drawer.

I have remembered that at the end of the conversation with the
neurologist when I was questioning wooden floors he said they didn't HAVE
to be wood--but something smooth.

Joan Cutchins