Mary,
Thanks for the welcome=D It's great to hear that you and Mel are able to see
such a "busy" and caring Dr.!! I do participate in the Dystonia support group
both the IRC chats and the a.s.d n/g ...  It's amazing how many of the
Dystonia gang also use known Parkinson's drugs... So I'll be sharing
information with them (only about the meds and reactions to it).

I do have a question for the group here... my son Cory is 5 and just recently
started on Amantadine .... he's normally healthy as the proverbial horse with
the exception of his "muscle/legs".... but he's really sick now.... My
question is in regards to reactions taking Amantadine... did anyone notice
fever blisters and swollan gums? He has been running a 102 temp since Tuesday
and since Friday morning is having major trouble eating/drinking things ... I
did take him to the Dr. Tuesday (he was prescribed Amocillin) and on Friday
night I took him back to the Doctor ..who then said that he had a Virus
(possiably herpes???<---where in the world would a 5 year old contact that
from I have NO idea.) Is this a transient problem ... is it similar to
homopathy meds that make you feel worse before supposidely(sp?) feel better?
I read that Amantadine is/was used to treat Influenza A ... could this med be
"working" that out?

The reason that Cory was started on the Amantadine was because of his
"refusal" to take the Sinemet, Lodosyn pills... we had been fighting him 3
times a day for 9 months... literally sitting on him and force feeding it. We
noticed great improvements in his Parkinsonism-Dystonia symptoms... his voice
was better, drooling stopped, less spasticity in his legs, nightcramp/spasms
stopped.... all within 1 week of starting the L-dopa meds. Since the switch
from that to Amantadine and Gabapectin we've not seen any regression or
changes other that not having to fight him on the meds and of course the
"fever blister" all inside his mouth and throat.
Thanks so very much for being here to educate an Elf in TN.... Romona
Elf wife to Tony (my hero), and mom to Tori (age 9, nda), Zach (age 7,
multichallenged) and Cory (age 5 , and multichallenged) The two younger
children have several labels... Dystonia, Parkisonism, nystagmus, strubismus,
hypotonia, spasticity ... Zach's taking Sinemet and Lodosyn (and doing
wonderfull with them) and Cory is currently taking Amantadine and Gabapectin.
([log in to unmask]) (Elfin TN ~ IRC nick)
http://members.aol.com/Elf808/index.html  <--novice webpage of the "elves"in
TN

 [log in to unmask] wrote:
<< welcome to the list Ramona and Tony.. Glad you are in this together for
the
 sake of the children.  We here in New Orleans have a Dr. who only treats PD
 and Dystonia.  He has 1300 patients.  He's really involved in the Udall
bill,
 etc and comes to many f our meetings. I hope you have some group support for
 the children's problems.  This should add some diversity to our group.  I
 love children.
 Mary CG for Mel 76/11  [log in to unmask] >>