Strategies for treating patients with advanced Parkinson's disease with
disastrous fluctuations and dyskinesias.

Mediterranean Institute of Neuroscience, Pozzilli, Italy.
Stocchi F, Nordera G, Marsden CD
Clin Neuropharmacol 1997 Apr;20(2):95-115

Patients with advanced Parkinson's disease often develop severe
fluctuations and dyskinesias while receiving long-term levodopa therapy.
These complications can prove increasingly difficult to control.

Here we review our strategies for coping with such problems. These include
establishing the best rational schedule of levodopa treatment, optimizing
levodopa absorption, the use of oral dopaminergic agonists, and the use of
subcutaneous injections or infusions of apomorphine or lisuride.

The problems of severe dyskinesias, sleep disturbances, psychotoxicity, and
urinary difficulties also are considered.

Finally, the role of new surgical procedures to treat Parkinson's disease
is reviewed.

PMID: 9099462, MUID: 97254227