On Sun 28 Sep, p. l. maddux wrote:
 I found out later that the drug was ELDEPRYL.

> Then I had occasion to talk to an RN in a movement disorder clinic. She
> said that if it was her she would  start taking it. So I have two PD
> health professionals telling me to start taking this drug.
>
> Then I started sending for information and learning about PD.One of the
> things I got was the paitent information sheet from somerset,the mfg of
> Eldepryl. It states " There is no evidence from controlled studies that
> segeiline has any beneficial effect in the absence of concurrent
> levodopa therapy."
>
> So I have not taken it and now one year later the tremor has gotten
> worse, but it is not a big problem. Who should I listed to, the
> manufactuer or the PD health  pro's?
> Lanier Maddux    Chattanooga Tn.

Hello Lanier,  You have chosen an ideal subject to enquire about, because
Eldepryl has been the subject of controversy for years. Your input from the
manufacturer was new to me, and most interesting: When a drug manufacturer
makes what appears to be a negative comment on his own product, I think we
should listen, because it doesn't happen very often!

On a wider front, there are arguments about whether Eldepryl has a long-term
role in slowing down the progress of PD. (Since we don't know what causes
it, how can we say that eldepryl will stop it?). There are arguments about
whether Eldepryl does any short-term good or is it just that like booze,
there is no real effect , but you just don't care any more. (Eldepryl can
produce Amphetamine as it breaks down in the brain).

Faced with such conntradictory evidence, it comes down to a matter of
personal choice. (the fact that your personal consultant leans one way or
the other is not really relevant.)  A year or two ago Eldepryl was
fashionable and everyone new PWP was automatically started on it, in the
belief that  'It can't be bad and it might be good' Well now we know that
it can be bad as well, and the current fashion seems to be away from Eldepryl.

Personally, I used it for a few months, but stopped when it started to give
me vivid nightmares. I need to feel that I am in control of my personality
even though PD may be making physical changes in there.

Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>