To Udall Bill Activists:

As most of you know the House-Senate conferees met last week to consider
the Labor/HHS Appropriations bill for FY 1998. The Senate version of the
Bill contains the Udall Bill while the House version does not. Our
efforts have been directed recently to the Labor/HHS Appropriations
Subcommittee members who make up the House-Senate conference. We have
been asking them to make sure that the Udall bill provisions were part of
the House Senate conference bill.

The Conferees may or may not meet yet this week to continue their
deliberations of this legislation. It will be a short week because of the
Jewish Holidays. Therefore, the conferees probably won't complete their
work until next week.

My advice is to temporarily suspend grass roots activities until their
deliberations are concluded. Our efforts to date have been well directed
and effective. Any additional activity could prove counterproductive and
undo some of our accomplishments.

If the conferees accept the Udall Bill provisions in their conference
report, we should postpone any celebrations until after the bill is
PASSED by both Houses of Congress. We can expect action on this by
Mid-October.

If you have any additional questions or comments feel free to reply via
email or call NPF's Washington Office and ask for Bill Turenne or myself.