My wife, Jan, started having symptoms about four years ago. It started
with short periods of imbalance, very intermittent and spaced as much as
four months apart. She fell on several occasions and although she was
aware she was falling, she was powerless to prevent it or use her hands
or arms to soften the fall.

In August, Jan developed internal and external tremors that are also
intermittent, lasting for a few hours to as much as five days. The
shaking seems to affect her gross motor skills. She has difficulty
walking and doing everyday tasks. It takes a concerted effort on her
part to start to move, or to go up stairs etc. Although she retains the
use of her fingers, her head, torso, hands and feet shake, her voice
shakes and fluctuates as well. She is normally right handed, but during
these spells, she is sometimes better able to use her left hand for
eating.

She has had MRI, MRA, EEG, Cat Scan . . . all normal. There is some MS
in her family, but no history of essential tremors or PD. She has seen
three neurologists as Kaiser, all of whom have ruled out PD because of
the intermittent nature of her symptoms. The last neurologist believes
she has some form of essential tremors. I asked the doctor what symptoms
allow the exclusion or PD, and he explained that if it were PD, the
symptoms would not be so intermittent and that the disease would have
progressed by now so that the symptoms would be more pronounced.

Though we are somewhat relieved and hopeful that his diagnosis is
correct, and it's not PD, we are still left hanging. Information we have
read from posts on this board would indicate that sometimes symptoms of
PD are intermittent. We would sure appreciate any help or information
that you think might apply. Her "more computer literate husband" John.

Thank you.

John Morgan ([log in to unmask])
--
bumper
Napa CA USA - 201 N58065, 7AC Champ NC31346, Starduster N73R