Emily, when my father was able to pull himself out of his wheelchair and onto
the toilet, I mounted a grab bar on the wall at the side of the commode, that
he could reach and pull himself up with.  It was not too expensive, I believe
about $12-15, but it is important to have it anchored to the wall securely. I
used two toggle bolts, that open up behind the plaster wall board like little
flat umbrellas, spreading the weight over about a 3 inch area. On the other
side, I was able to put long wood screws, directly into the wood stud behind
the plasterboard.  I tested it by putting all my weight on it while jumping
up and down. It is solid. If you need to hire someone to install it, make
sure they know it must take a lot of weight, that it is NOT just a towel bar!
 You can buy a special device that adds two metal bars to the side of the
toilet, but it is unsightly, and I don't think it takes much weight, except
vertically. Check medical supply stores, and large drug stores for these
devices. Ken B