On Mon 29 Sep, Ron Dorney wrote:
> A question from Ron 66/7-----I am currently taking what seems like a
> lot of meds compared to others on line.My daily intake consists of: 7
> Sinemet cr 200/50, 4 Sinemet 100/25, 2 Prolopa 100/25, 2 Eldepryl, 2
> Elavil 25,1 Paxil 20.  Any comments ,thoughts,observations?
> Ron...............thanks.

Hello Ron, 1800mg of levodopa is certainly on the high side, but not
necessarily excessive. In my experience the record holder is a member
of my local group of the PDS in the UK. - He takes 3000mg per day !!
I suspect that an awful lot of that levodopa is lost in the digestive
system: people vary greatly in that respect.

  Another source of concern is the Carbidopa which is a part of every
Sinemet tablet. Your body really only needs about 100 to 150 mg per day
to do its job of protecting the levodopa as it travels through the
bloodstream to the brain. Your intake comes to 450 mg /day. The excess
Carbidopa can cause produce symptoms of lethargy, listlessness, and just
feeling low.  On the other hand, if the Levodopa is not getting through
then maybe the Carbidopa is not getting through either! My 3000mg/day
friend did suffer from the excess Carbidopa. but was able to cure that
symptom by changing to Madopar equivalents. (Madopar uses a chemical
called Benserazide to do the same job as Carbodopa) and the compound
(Madopar) is literally interchangeable with Sinemet, except that it does
not seem to produce the toxic effect in the blood stream. The bad news
is that if you live in the USA, Madopar is not available to you. In
most other parts of the world, both Sinemet and Madopar are available.

Another point has just struck me- its probably completely irrelevant, but
how do you take your tablets when they clash with meals. Do you eat
your tablets before, during, or after meals ?

Regards
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>