Hi everyone,
I am hope that a few of you here have personal knowledge of Amantadine. Cory
is only taking1/2 tsp twice a day. Along with 1 cap. of Gabapectin. I'm
wondering if there were any changes that you noticed while taking it.... any
thing I should "watch out" for, that sort of stuff.
The reason that the MDD switched from the Sinemet and Lodosyn was only
because we (mom and Dad) were having a hard time getting him to take the
crushed pills. Litterally holding him down and force feeding it to him. On
the rare occasions that "he" won and didn't take the meds his mobility was
hendered and night cramps were rampent... which at that point he would
request his meds.... so we are pretty sure that he understood the
relationship between taking the pills and how they helped. Just that stubborn
nature that keeps him fighting all these "bad" symptoms with a grin on his
face also works the other way too.<G>
Since switching we haven't noticed any new changes except not having to do
battle 3 times a day. When he first started on the Sinemet we saw a world of
changes...less spasticity in his legs, improved speech quality and volume,
stopped the drooling and coupled with the Botox injections stopped the night
cramp/spasms that would make him screech 2-4 times a night....  so far
nothings "touched" the torcking of his legs :(  Friday at the ORtho appt the
Dr. reconfirmed that he will  probably need surgery next year or the year
after for a hip/hamstring/ankle releases and learned that his shin bone is
twisting...so possiable bone surgery too ... but that's in the future...
Sorry I tend to wonder don't I ??? If anyone has more information on
Amantadine I would really appreciate if you'd contact me.. either thru here
on the list or privately..it's your choice. Thanks for being here to educate
an Elf in TN... Romona
Elf wife to Tony (my hero), and mom to Tori (age 9, nda), Zach (age 9,
multichallenged), Cory (age5, multichallenged). The boys have no definative
Dx but several labels... nystagmus, strubismus, Dystonia, Parkinsonism,
Asthma, Execma, Hypotonia, Spaticity....ect  Collectively the
Dystonia/Parkinsonism effects the boys from eyes to toes. Currently Zach's
taking Sinemet, Lodosyn and Cory is taking Amantadine and Gabapectin. He's
also had 3 rounds of Botox, uses a walker or WC for mobility.
http://members.aol.com/Elf808/index.html