Heather,

I am sorry to hear about your dad.  I am a physician diagnosed ar 44 now
52. So i think I know what both you and your dad are going through.  You
seem as though you are looking for the definitive procedure- the cure
and do it sooner rather than later. If pallidotomy was a cure for PD
I'd  probably agree with your logic.  But it in reality is a palliative
procedure that helps control symptoms both of the illness and medication
induced side effects. It appears that your dad is in the early stages of
the illness. In the early stages of PD medications usually work
extremely well. PWP usually don't need or significantly benefit from
pallidotomy until 5-15 or more years with the illness. Your dad is lucky
that there are so many new drugs and treatments being developed and we
may be only 5-19 years away from "the cure". Pallidotomy is a useful
procedure but it also is destructive of normal brain tissue.  Hopefully
by the time he needs to think about surgery what will be available is
something that will regenerate  or replace the damaged cells.

I know you want it "over with" ASAP.  But, waiting and treating
conservatively is clearly the way to go.

Good luck to you and your dad.

Charlie

--

CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.