Hi, I'm new here, lurking for a few days.

My mom (age 76) was recently diagnosed with PD, prev. mis-diagnosed with
small vein disease.  No tremor, but everything else.  In retrospect it's
probably been coming on for years.  She worked full time in a stand-up sales
job until a year ago, and driving daily to a part-time in a clerical job
until mid-July.  But it's hard to believe because she seems to be
deteriorating so fast.  At least the diagnosis meant the start of trying drug
therapies, first Sinemet alone and now with Amantadine.  Not the miracles
we'd hoped for.  The Sinemet helps a little, not sure about the other.  The
posts here have already been helpful to me (& I relay to her) re: medications
and other issues.

My most pressing issue is neither I nor my siblings live close by -- She's in
Boston, I'm the closest in NYC.  She was living alone, but two weeks ago, we
finally moved her into an Assisted Care facility.  That is clearly no panacea
either.  She's finally using a walker regularly but that doesn't seem to help
with some types of falls.  Does she need a wheelchair so soon?  I've been
hoping that as the trauma of moving fades, she would improve, but I don't see
it yet.

Thank you for being here.

emily ([log in to unmask])