hi david

you wrote:
>I know of a man named "John" who is newly diagnosed.
>His Neuro has told him thay he has 15 years to live
>and should probably stop working soon.

watchout
i'm rolling up my sleeves on this one!

camilla mentioned that this action by john's neuro was 'criminal'
i'm tempted to go a tad further and call it 'medical malpractice'
since when did this neuro become a fortune teller and soothsayer?

it reminds me of the 'care and sensitivity' shown me
when i was informed casually over the phone while i was at work
that my father had throat cancer and two months max to live
[he died 12 months later]

i think your friend john needs to find a neuro who is
[a] human
[b] knows what the heck he's talking about

we have all gone through the horrors of the shock of the initial diagnosis
but my impression nine years later
is that my fears were based on ignorance and totally without foundation

thanks mostly to all the knowledge and support from this cyber family
i cannot even look on pd as anything
but a gift and a challenge

the current scientific outlook is amazingly optimistic

please tell john this
and also that the 1500 of us are now his siblings and sidekicks

>I recently called him and encouraged him to attend the
>Parkinson's symposium in Portland two weeks ago. He went
>to the symposium and became very discouraged by it.

of course he did!
he's been given lousy medical advice
and at this point is looking at his world thru glum-coloured glasses

>He has his house for sale. It seems like he is
>withdrawing from society.

it definitely sounds like depression
a natural reaction to the diagnosis of pd anyway
let alone the way his was presented to him

i could send you my 'mini-series' on cd
for his benefit

>I feel like if I call him again it will seem like I am pushing.

i can't see where a little indignation and pushing would hurt
he's probably going to need a big shove
to counterbalance the neuro's effect

>I became aware of him through his sister-in-law who is a friend of
>mine. She wants to help him and I want to help him. But I don't know how.

why not use us as the reason for 'pushing' him?

i might get known as 'ms busybody' or 'the pest'
but i don't care
if someone's health is at risk
especially if misinformation has contributed to that risk

also
further to a tip from gail vass
in re our last report of medical misinformation
i think the neuro in this case could do with a little education
so that he doesn't keep spreading his twisted version of reality around

with love for you and yours
and especially for john and his loved ones

your cyber-sis

janet