Paxil is an antidipressant - one of the Serotonin UPtake inhibitor type
... we've found with my dad that most of them made him like a zombie too
(even though they're not supposed to) . He's had problems with the depression
(he was diagnosed with that before PD - but now we think it was an early sign
of his PD ). His MD's have tried a number of antidepressants and while they
help a little none of them have brought complete relief.

Recently we wanted him switched to Mirapex cause he gets SOOO sick from
the SInemet - but his Neuro didn't want to change meds till the depression
/nausea was worked out ... but nothing changed. (Now he's on Serzone -
but he's been on Pamelor (a no-no for PD'ers ) , and Effexor in the passed).

So - after reading Margie's note on how Mirapex helped Dick's depression -
(and a consultation with the GP) we went back to the neuro - and he's on
Mirapex.

Its only week ONE - but let me tell you - this could be the MIRACle drug
for him. The depression is nearly gone - he's talking more - gets interested
in  conversation /TV  football food etc. (we're ALL going to gain weight now
that he's ASKING for food !). Its GREAT - almost like having my old dad back !
I should add that the nausea is gone too - even though he's still taking
a little Sinemet (1/2 tab three times).

His major symptoms was leg pain/cramps - posture and gait (no tremor) -
and the depression !

The hope is that with increased Mirapex - maybe he can cut back on both
the Sinemet AND the antidepressants !

So my answer would be TRY the Mirapex !

Donna
(daughter of PD dad 74/dg 1/97 - MIRAPEx /Sinemet)

-                  Donna Bassolino-Klimas,  Ph.D.
                   Bristol Myers Squibb Pharma. Res. Inst.
                   Department of Macromolecular Structure
                   P.O. Box 4000    Room H3812
                   Princeton, N.J.  08543 4000