Joan,  I began using a cane some longs months ago.  I refused in the
beginning but now it is my silent companion.  I go nowhere without it.   I
use the cane mostly because of my balance problem.

A STICK (cane) WILL ONLY INCREASE THE FRUSTRATION LEVEL OF THE PWP who has a
balance problem.

I use a QUAD CANE   this is a cane with a horozontal flat piece if metal
attached to the bottom.  ON that flat piece are four legs with each one
covered by a rubber cane tip.  So in reality,  Im holding one handle but i
have the advantage of cane that does not wobble.

It comes for left or right side use.   good luck

Joyce