> ... just switched to Mirapex ...
> Well, we made the first major error one makes, we neglected to clarify the
> times the Mirapex was to be taken.  So, the good patient and CG diligently
> made sure the medications were taken on time.  Bruce stopped the Permax
> cold turkey on Wed evening and began his Mirapex (.l25).  He took the drug
> WITH  his Sinemet and Eldypryl beginning in the am and continuing every 4
> hours.  (BIG MISTAKE).
> We, thank God, found out that this was completely wrong.  He should not
> combine the drugs and in addition, the Mirapex must be spaced out about 7
> to 8 hours apart.

  My dad just switched to Mirapex and his neuro gave him a fact sheet from Upjohn.
  He was only taking Sinemet (a 1/2 tablet 4 times a day). His N cut him
  back to three times a day and told him to take it with the Mirapex !
  He takes them (0.125mg) 3 times - with breakfast/lunch & dinner.

  he seems to be doing well with it so far - but he was one who could NOT
  tolerate Sinemet. People who were happy before don't seem as thrilled with
  the Mirapex as those who were MISERABLE on Sinemet.

> Bruce suffered terribly - chills, insomnia, chest tingling, sluggishness,
> slurred speech - you name it.  It was terribly frightening.

  Wow that must have been scary !

> We hope this is the beginning of a positive future with Mirapex.  Time,
> communication, and a positive attitude all help.

  I hope so too - for you AND us ...

  It amazes me how little is known about the administration of this drug and
  also how different people react to different regimines ! I guess you have to
  find whats best for you - but in between when it gets worse before getting
  better its tough to deal with !

  talk to you soon

  donna
  (daughter of PD dad  74 dg 1/97 - Sinemet/Mirapex)

-                  Donna Bassolino-Klimas,  Ph.D.
                   Bristol Myers Squibb Pharma. Res. Inst.
                   Department of Macromolecular Structure
                   P.O. Box 4000    Room H3812
                   Princeton, N.J.  08543 4000