Ken,

The Expose related to 3rd world countries not under the control of the
FDA.  All generics sold across state lines (virtually all of them) must
meet FDA standards. The drug companies count on and foster suspicion of
the generics which cost as much as 10 or 20 times the cost of brand
name  drugs. The cost of the drug development (plus a handsome profit)
is included  in the price of brand-name meds which the developing
company has exclusive rights to for about 7 years.  During that time
they flood the market with advertising to especially physicians.  Notice
how in just 3 months on this list we went from talking about pramipexole
to Mirapex.  The sales people have done their job.  We through out
doctors etc. have picked up the brand name and use it.  I paid over $300
for my last Mirapex prescription.  I will bet you the ingredients for
the drug itself didn't cost the company more than $10-20 for the 150
tablets.  Over the next 6 years the price is unlikely to drop and may
increase.  Then generics will appear and the company will count on all
the loyal Mirapex fans who are fearful of getting something lesser in a
generic drug.  They will continue high profits because of the "brand
loyalty" they have developed.  Also "coincidentally" they often come out
with a new product in the same group which is the new improved version
(sometimes accurately and sometimes Hype).  Notice the timing or the
release of roperinol and pramipexole just a year or 2 after pergolide
and bromocriptine became available generically.

I would hope the pharmacists on the list will comment. I am not saying
that there is no chance of getting a bad generic but by the same token
brand name drugs also have been known to be recalled.  Health care costs
are so high at this point if we can do something to keep the costs down
that does not hurt our care, maybe the money saved can be used for
something that makes a difference.

With rare exceptions there is not significant differences between
generics and brand name drugs.  But on the other side if you take a
generic and have significant problems- for whatever reason- (and in most
cases that reason will be anxiety related to the change rather than a
pharmacological reason) then you should take the brand name drug because
it works better for you and efficacy should always be the bottom line.

Now that I have thoroughly confused everybody I will be looking for
comments.

Charlie

--

CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.