Van:  [log in to unmask]
Datum: 2-10-97 18:16
Onderwerp Antw: A man named "John"
Adres:  Aan: "Parkinson's Information Exchange" <[log in to unmask]>

John
This mail is meant for you. I ope hat somone on the list will print this mail
for you  and if you have more questions,  take care these questions do reach
me.  I know that in the time before levadopa was available (1968),  the number
of 15 years  as the maximum a PWP could survive his diagnosis, was often
mentioned. And after the levadopa appeared in 1968, quality of life was
considered, so  it
was said to me 13 years ago, that it would  deteriorate unavoidable after 10
years. Though it is now 13 years ago and the quality of my life is yet with me
thanks to other meds, espescially the dopa-agonist and very recently a
pallidotomy,  the forecast seems not to have been without any sense, because it
was
after about 10 year using sinemet that my symptoms grew and interfered heavily
with normal living. Just as I was in a better position than the people who were
diagnosed 10 or 15 years earlier, you are now in a better position than I was
when I started being  a PWP.  Such a forecast which your neuro did,
seems to me to be realy dangerous,  because for decisions that have to be made,
(to stop working or not, sell your house and spend the money or not), it makes
a difference if one believes death is unavoidable after such a short  time. I
hope you will be able to believe that although it is true you 'll need dopamine
for the rest of your life and that a moment will come,  when the side -effects
are very aversive,   the neurologists have strong and efficient weapons to
fight these symptoms. There are many people on the list who can tell you a
story like that. So don't stop makimg plans for the future. But nevertheless,
when there are things you would like to do very much, for example to travel a
bit: don't postpone it without necessity. Because in my opinion we can not yet
be sure that the disease can be cured within our lifespan, so
when making plans for the future, know that most probable ( but not for
certain)  you will be more handicapped in the future.

 Ida Kamphuis 53\13

Aan 27-9-97 21:26, in bericht
<[log in to unmask]>, David Moreland
<[log in to unmask]> schreef:

> I know of a man named "John" who is newly diagnosed. His Neuro has
told him
> thay he has 15 years to live and should probably stop working soon. I
> recently called him and encouraged him to attend the Parkinson's
symposium
> in Portland two weeks ago. He went to the symposium and became very
> discouraged by it. He has his house for sale. It seems like he is
> withdrawing from society. I became aware of him through his
sister-in-law
> who is a friend of mine. She wants to help him and I want to help him.
But