Hi Gang:

Have a problem and need your feedback.
Last Friday, I had a ruptured disk in my lower back repaired. If you
disregard the fact that my early morning PD pills never kicked in and that I
was a nervous wreck by the time they wheeled me into the OR (first operation
in my life at age 54), everything went smoothly.  In fact, I only stayed one
night.  No pain after the operation.  The surgeon's medical assistant found
this difficult to believe. Four hours after I woke up for surgery, she burst
into my room and breathlessly announced, "Stan, the nurses have morphine for
you!" Great. Let's all meet in my room and get high. Don't forget to invite
the doc.
Here's my problem.  Starting Friday when I came out of the anesthetic, I've
 experienced one lengthy, agonizing "off" period each day.  Lasts from two to
four hours. My usual "off" symptoms are there --- hands stiff, uncontrollable
sweating, can't walk. Also, the muscles in my left foot, leg, hip and lower
back start an up and down rotation of violent, strong contractions and
releases. Since it happens in the "off" state, I'm assuming it's dystonia.
The movements are so strong, I'm concerned about damaging the incision in my
spine, or perhaps hurting my back muscles. Anyone have any ideas why my meds
would suddenly go out for two to fours hours straight every day? (I'm taking
1 25/100 Sinemet every two hours and 1 50/200 Sinemet CR 4 times a day) Meds
worked great using this schedule before the operation. No dyskinesia, no
difficult or lengthy "offs". Could it be the after-effect of anesthesia? Or
pain killer through my IV Friday and Saturday?  Or any other possible
reasons?
Your input, ideas, or suggestions would be greatly welcomed.
Thanks, as always, for you help.
(PS: By the way, my neuro came to see me Friday night in the hospital. Said
he still had me penciled in for a pallidotomy on November 7 if I wanted it.
 Just wheel me back to the OR,  I told him.)

Stan Houston 54/6.5