Stan R. Houston wrote:

> Have a problem and need your feedback.
> Last Friday, I had a ruptured disk in my lower back repaired.  Starting Friday when I came out of the anesthetic, I've
>  experienced one lengthy, agonizing "off" period each day.
> The movements are so strong, I'm concerned about damaging the incision in my
> spine, or perhaps hurting my back muscles. Anyone have any ideas why my meds
> would suddenly go out for two to fours hours straight every day? (I'm taking
> 1 25/100 Sinemet every two hours and 1 50/200 Sinemet CR 4 times a day) Meds
> worked great using this schedule before the operation.

Dear Stan,
I don't know why the operation would suddenly affect a med schedule that
had been working well. However, surgeries do seem to affect PD in a
variety of ways.

I think it would be worth your while to experiment with protein
adjustment. I'd order some Hearty Balance products, and live with that
for a couple of weeks and see if it makes any difference. If the OFF
times shorten or become less severe (or, preferably, stop!) then you can
assume that protein suddenly became a problem for you.

If you want to try a 7:1 product right away, you can make a good shake
with Ensure (much easier to find):

Fruit Smoothie with Ensure
8 oz vanilla Ensure (NOT Ensure Plus)
1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries (or other fruit)
2 TB sugar
        Place all ingredients in blender, blend till smooth. One
serving. Ratio 7:1

Also -- Kellogg's Nutri-grain bars are much cheaper than Hearty Balance
cranberry bars, have a ratio of about 9:1.

My very best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD