>My name is Ellen Peck, and my husband, aged 78, was just diagnosed with PD.
>He doesn't feel well.  He has been on the generic for Sinemet for two
>weeks.  He has lost all appetite and eats almost nothing.  He is forcing
>himself when he gets anything down.  He says food tastes funny and eating
>repugnant.  Does not tolerate the salty taste.
>He just lies around, going up and down stairs about twice per day.  He has
>even stopped putting the TV on.

 This sound like what my dad went through - we called the neuro - but he
 wanted him to stay on it - reduced the dose - increased the dose - nothing
 helped. He was nauseaous ALL the time - they even gave him pills for that
 but they didn't help either. He lost about 30 lbs in 5 months.
 My mom would give him Boost to get some calories in him.
 But besides that he lost all intersest in ANYTHING. NO TV sports - newspapers
 nothing. All he would say is that he felt "SICK".
 He was on antidepressants - but I think all they did was make him
 sleepy.

 I don't think  the dr didn't really beleived it was the SInemet - but we
 were living with him ! We know how he was before.

 Anyway - last week he finally gave him Mirapex (and cut Sinemet by half a
 tablet per day_) - and I have to say with the first PILL - we noticed a change.
 He actually ASKED for a doughnut ! My mom and I looked at each other in shock !
 (we'd have gone to the end of the earth to get him one - since he hadn't asked
 for (or enjoyed) food - or ate without complaining for MONTHS).

 In one week on Mirapex - he's eating better - no nausea - more interest
 in things like the newpaper - sports - TALKING (never got more than
 mono-syllabic anwers before this). Its truely amazing !

 His legs still hurt and walking isn't the best and he still gets tired -
 but this is MUCH better than before - we hope/pray it will continue to
 improve.

 So maybe your neuro will try it - especially since he was just diagnosed -
 why jump right into Sinemet.

 Keep us posted !

 Donna
 (daughter of PD dad 74/dg 1/97 )

-                  Donna Bassolino-Klimas,  Ph.D.
                   Bristol Myers Squibb Pharma. Res. Inst.
                   Department of Macromolecular Structure
                   P.O. Box 4000    Room H3812
                   Princeton, N.J.  08543 4000