Emily Rosenthal wrote:

>  They say that some of her post-fall
> confusion (fall & meds contributed too) was due to bladder infection and that
> this is common in elderly - can anyone confirm this?

Dear Emily,
Yes, bladder and urinary tract infections are common in older adults.
Some reasons:
1) The thirst sensation is blunted as we age; therefore, we don't feel
the need to drink. Older adults are frequently in a state of mild and
prolonged dehydration. This allows bacteria to exist and grow in the
bladder and urinary tract, causing infection.

2) Many medications, including PD meds, cause some water loss; if this
is not replaced, dehydration and infections can occur.

3) Drinking adequate water (4-8 glasses a day) causes a need to urinate
frequently. Infirmities can make this difficult. Some people cut back on
fluids so that they won't have to deal with trips to the bathroom.

I recommend a large glass of cranberry juice daily, along with at least
4 glasses of water, plus any juices or other beverages usually consumed.
Cranberry juice can help prevent infections in many cases, and can also
help clear them. It contains a substance that makes it difficult for
bacteria to adhere to the walls of the bladder and urinary tract. The
bacteria are flushed out by the flow of urine.

Best regards,
Kathrynne
--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD