>Date:  Wed, 8 Oct 1997 16:27:50 -0400
>From:  Peck <[log in to unmask]>
>To:    Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
>
>Hi,
>
>My name is Ellen Peck, and my husband, aged 78, was just diagnosed with
PD.

>He doesn't feel well.  He has been on the generic for Sinemet for two
>weeks.  He has lost all appetite and eats almost nothing.  He is
forcing
>himself when he gets anything down.  He says food tastes funny and
eating
>repugnant.  Does not tolerate the salty taste.
>
>He just lies around, going up and down stairs about twice per day.  He
has
>even stopped putting the TV on.
>
>The doctor, when called, said he should take the medication after
eating
>instead of before, but that does not seem to help.
>
>I will call Dr. again in a few days, but I was wondering what others
had
>experienced when starting on this medication.
>
>Thanks for any help.
>
>Ellen Peck

A lot of people have trouble with Sinemet- I know I did.
Some people have had good luck with a couple of crackers.
Sinemet CR is easier for some folks to tolerate.
If you have good insurance, Zofran works well with Sinemet ( I think the
retail price is ~ 10 dollars a pill).
Some people also get over their initial stomach problems with
Sinemet after a few weeks.

The taste issue may a result of the nausea- I lost a lot of weight
at first.  The taste issue may also be a result of loss of sense
of smell - lots of PWP have this loss.

Good luck.