Jacob,

In idiopathic PD the cells in the substantia nigra die.  l-dopa works
because it provides extra precursor (raw material) for the production
in the remaining cells of dopamine therefore increasing the amount of
dopamine in the synapse (which I believe is in the putamen).  This
function is considered to be presynaptic.  In PD the postsynaptic
receptors are intact. They are essentially waiting there starved for
dopamine needing that (or an agonist which mimics the action of
dopamine) to fire.  The increased presynaptic dopamine provided by the
stimulated presynaptic neurons returns function to more or less normal.

Transplant is of dopamine producing presynaptic neurons usually placed
directly in the putamen where normally their axons project.  If the
postsynaptic receptors are damaged and they are not dopamine responsive
then a procedure like fetal cell transplant which increases dopamine
theoretically would do nothing.

I remember seeing a web site which explained the basic neurophysiology
with animated diagrams. I will try to find that site and post it for
everyone.

Charlie

--

CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.