I just got my information (finally!) from UCLA Medical Center (Dr  Berke)
providing details on the injections, making my appointment, etc. Included
was an interesting brochure called, "Vocalogen, The First Injectable Human
Collagen.  For Patients with Glottic Incompetence Resulting in Dysphonia."
<= PWPs who don't talk so good.  It was prepared by a corporation called
Collagenesis in Beverly, MA.  They  take some tissue from you abdomen
(unfortunately only a little) and make the Collagen right from that tissue
and inject that into your vocals cords.  Advantages over collagen from
other sources are 1) lasts 2 years+, versus 3 to 6 months for the cow
variety, 2) no chance of allergic reaction/ no tolerance test required
(mine cost $125!).
Also says,
* not painful,
* is covered by most insurance,
* only reactions can be a sore throat for a few days,
* immediate improvement but optimal improvement may take up to 6 months,
* surgical procedure for tissue is "minimally invasive,"
* only people who shouldn't have it done are those allergic to local or
general anesthesia (there's that                     word again),
*and only adverse reactions have been "transient anxiety reactions
immediately after injection,"  ("OH                 MY GOD, WHAT HAVE I
DONE?!!").
* and while Dr. Berke and Barbara's Dr. at Kaiser  HMO are the only doctors
in the country doing it for PWP (that's what Dr. Berke told my neuro), the
brochure says it's been done for cancer and trauma patients for ten years,
AND WITH THIS HUMAN PRODUCT FOR THREE YEARS!

Bruce A (51/3/NJ)