Mary Legan asked:

>Do the portable swivel seats make things easier?  Are some better than
others?

We found the portable swivel seat works best on a flat, level, firm surface.
We purchased one to help my husband get in and out of a car more easily, but
had to give up on that idea. We found that it operates poorly on contoured
car seats. It would work better on a flat, bench seat, particularly if it
were quite firm. We now use ours on a chair at the dining table where it
allows Neal to get seated and then swivel around to face the table. Without
it he would have to use his wheelchair and he is glad to have it.

Recently, here on the List, we have been discussing the things that make
life easier when planning housing for a PWP. We've found is also a good idea
to consider their special needs when buying transportation. When we bought a
new car a couple of years ago, we thought about Neal's future needs and
selected a minivan that was high enough off the ground to get in and out of
easily, that had sliding doors at the back seat for unimpeded access, and
plenty of room for a wheelchair in back. We have been grateful for that
decision every day this past year as his mobility declines. I may feel a bit
silly chauffering him around as he rides grandly behind me, but at our
destination I can open the door wide and out of the way, swing his legs
around so his feet touch the ground, then him to his feet and into the
wheelchair or walker with very little effort. He can no longer get in and
out of a standard, low to the ground sedan.

Martha Rohrer  (CG for Neal, 77/12)