Whitie,
3 points on response

1) My Mom's been on prozac for a year.  She needed relatively high dose
(built up to 60-80mg/day gradually, & with Welbutrin) before response, but
response has been good.  In fact now I'm taking issue with rehab hospital
drs. who seem to have arbitrarily prescribed only 20 mg/day upon her arrival.
 After a week & a half, depression is now one of the biggest problems, 2nd to
no appetite. Not sure if I'll make any headway on a 3-day weekend (she said
bitterly.)

2) I'm from NY & nearly everyone I know (w/ & wo/ terminal illnesses) has
tried prozac or another.  The consensus, as someone said earlier, is that
there is no consensus.  The trial & error for drug & dosage for
antidepressants can be as lengthy & treacherous a process as for pd.

3) I believe I read somewhere that prozac is contra-indicated with selegeline
- some bad side effects.  But my mind is worse than my mother's these days -
can anyone confirm this?

emily cg/Mom 76/3 months ([log in to unmask])