^^^^^^GREETINGS  FROM^^^^^^^^^^
Ivan Suzman  47/10   [log in to unmask]
Portland, Maine   land of lighthouses  53   deg. F cloudy
                                                          October 15,
1997

Dear Friends on the Parkinson's List,

     I am sending this special letter to provide you with the opportunity
to participate in what could be, on October 30, 1997,  a ground-breaking
and far-reaching decision, one which has the potential to benefit many
persons with Parkinson's (PWP's).

       I am hoping that a decision in my favor will be rendered, opening
the doors for ALL lower-income PWP's in the United States to, at long
last, benefit from MEDICAID-COVERED  massage therapy.

     As of this morning at 12:00 A.M., I am now officially scheduled for
what seems to be a precedent-setting Hearing, coming up on Thursday,
October 30, 1997 at 10:30 A.M., here in Portland, Maine,  at the order of
 Kevin Concannon,  the Commissioner of Human Services of the State of
Maine.  If I succeed, I will become, as far as we know here in Maine, the
FIRST disabled, low-income American who will be covered for
physician-ordered massage therapy, for the relief of Parkinson's-related
pain and other symptoms.

     The 20-day waiting period for Applications for Intervention ended at
midnight, with nothing filed.  This means that the Hearing WILL happen as
scheduled!

     To prepare for this Hearing, I am asking for your help, to add your
voice, to be heard.

       It has taken ten months to go through the preparatory steps, and
to get a
Hearing scheduled.

      I am already being helped by many, including the Boston University
Neurological Referral Center's pain nurse(I am  now a Parkinson's patient
there), my local Portland physicians , my 2 massage therapists,  my
much-improved team of personal care attendants, and my Parkinson's
Support Group members.

     My family doctor ordered weekly home-visit massage therapy for me on
January 6, but I had to suspend these wonderfully helpful visits due to
insufficient income, in June.  I am petitioning to have Medicaid cover
this therapy.

    If you would like to support my effort, in the form of a Letter of
Support,
would you kindly e-mail them directly to me, at [log in to unmask]

    Your  letters should be addressed to:

        David T. Bussey, Administrative Hearing Officer
         Office of Administrative Hearings,
          Maine Department of Human Services
            State House Station 11,  221 State Street
              Augusta, Maine 04333-0011

     Again, please kindly e-mail them to me.  My support team will
assemble them and present them as evidence at the Hearing.

     I am hoping that a decision in my favor will be rendered, opening
the doors for all lower-income PWP's in the United States to at long last
benefit from Medicaid-covered massage therapy as provided by a Registered
Massage Therapist.

     Thank you, listmembers.

     Sincerely,

      Ivan Suzman 47/10, Portland, Maine  [log in to unmask] tel:
207-797-8488