Dear Charlie:  What an appalling story!  Did you tell the hospital?  Surely
they will do something.  Did they suggest that you stay there?  It can't be
just you, though that would be enough all by itself!! I live near Stanford
and they actually have built housing for patients' families to stay in while
their family member is hospitalized, and though I'm not sure of this, I would
also think the patient in your situation.   Unfortunately, I think from what
I've heard, hotels overbook.  We had an infuriating experience with a hotel
this summer to do with returning a rental car to the rental place which they
told us was open 24 hours and it was a holiday weekend and we were flying out
at 6 a.m., only flight we could get so we returned the car at 4:30 a.m. as
agreed upon but they were NOT open.  So there we were, with a plane to catch,
tooling around San Diego with a rental car we couldn't return.  (We returned
to the motel, left the car there, and called a taxi).
We complained by mail, never got an apology.  I thought that was bad 'till I
read yours.  Sympathetically, Liz