Dear Charlie and LIstmembers,

    I am sitting here thinking, oh my GOD, what a relief that Charlie and
his wife didn't get killed in traffic...what a relief that Charlie seems
to have not been more injured than a "slight bump on the head" as he lay
trapped on his back in the Hotel van....
     *       Let's help Charlie get through this as you have helped me
with my still unresolved ordeal with the Miami NPF.  Charlie, if you can
draft a brief letter of concern, or if someone can do that, we could send
in our names as 'signers" to a letter to the Hyatt.  Charlie, would that
be helpful at some point???

       Charlie wrote that he needs

        " To find out whether there is a pattern here and to warn others
to watch out for similar situations.  One other piece of information-  I
faxed Hyatt 2 weeks
ago and have not even received acknowledgment that it was received. '',

        I looked at Rose and said, "What does this horror story remind
you of?", and she said:
         "the National Parkinson's Foundation."

        So, what IS the pattern here?

    *    Is it corporate madness and greed?  Is it a kind of insanity
that MARGINALIZES PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES, and then stonewalls us when
we try to register our complaints?

    *    I feel we are must all look at how Listmembers can become a
UNITED PARKINSON'S COMMUNITY.  We've written each other about pins,
badges, the Ball of String,. Unity Walks, our local support groups, the
Udall Bill, and internationally, the French-language Parkeliste, the HUGE
number of Australian contributors to this List, and the potential POWER
of 1500+ membership on this List. I feel we need to work more at how we
can have a unified voice when our Listmembers have a real injustice to
face.

             Charlie, thank you for sharing your tale.  I feel so
relieved that you came out of it relatively "unscathed."  It certainly is
a big RED FLAG of warning for all of us PWP's and CG's.

              I sure hope there ISN'T a pattern to be found among hotels
which accommodate the mobility-impaired community.  But if there is,
there is the Americans With Disabilities Act, and other laws to protect
us as we seek fair housing and accommodations.

             Maybe the Udall Bill could be amended to include specific
language to protect the rights of PWP's and their families, once it is
passed.  Or maybe this imagined  amendment  is really a potential law to
Protect Parkinsonians Against Discrimination, and could be called the
Meyer Act.....the Mallut Act ( did the LIst follow Barb's struggle for
SSDI?).....we ALL will experience discrimination, and in some cases, this
will be blatant.

           So what do you "guys" think??

Sincerely,

Ivan
^^^^^^GREETINGS  FROM^^^^^^^^^^
Ivan Suzman  47/10   [log in to unmask]
Portland, Maine   land of lighthouses   55  deg. Fcold wind