Dear Listmembers:

Though I was  not with NPF when Mr. Suzman come down to Miami over 2 years
ago, I have spoken to him on the phone twice now, and feel that I now have
the appropriate background to respond to his negative comments regarding
the wonderful organization I work for.

I emphathize with Mr. Suzman's financial situation, however I do not feel
that NPF is responsible for it.

I must state that the National Parkinson Foundation does not have paid
physicians on it's staff. We provide large grants to private universities
and hospitals to better improve services for Parkinson's patients and to
faciliate new research initiatives. Therefore, Dr. Sanchez-Ramos, was at
the time of his visit an employee of the University of Miami School of
Medicine and Jackson Memorial Hospital, not an employee of the National
Parkinson Foundation.

The National Parkinson Foundation's headquarters in Miami, Florida provides
valuable space free of charge to the University of Miami to conducet PD
research and to provide patient services.  All the staff on those floors
are employees of UM, thus Dr. Sanchez-Ramos' secretary who made the
scheduling error was a UM employee.

The member of NPF staff who confirmed the appointment for Mr. Suzman had no
control over Dr. Ramos' schedule, and was just as bewildered as he was at
his tardiness. It was unfortunate that he could not have waited the 2.5
hours that it took for Dr. Ramos to get back to the building and that he
had to miss out on seeing him.

(Let me make this clear - Had Mr. Suzman waited, he WOULD have seen the
DR., BUT he CHOSE to leave because he had dinner plans with his father.)

NPF is sorry that Mr. Suzman did not receive treatment while he was here,
however we do not feel we are responsible for the scheduling error made by
Dr. Ramos's secretary.

That stated, I do not feel that NPF should deduct valuable money that has
been donated to the Foundation for the purpose of conducting research,
promoting education and funding therapy treatments, to compensate an
individual who had a misfortunate happening with DR. who is not a member of
the NPF staff.

I take pride in knowing that NPF is working hard for the Parkinson
Communitiy at large and that a cure will be found within this lifetime.

I hope that Mr. Suzman will be able to stop dwelling on a situation that
occurred well over 2 years ago, and that he will start focusing his energy
on more positive things.

Best Regards,
Melinda Brown
Public Relations, NPF