JOYCE C. WALDRON wrote:
> o  What about nutrition and PD?  I was told by my doctor to eat 7 times as      many carbohydrates as protein.  (I've lost 20+ lbs but still have a good     appetite.)
> o  What about extra vitamins?

Dear Joyce,
Your experience has certainly given you good reason to be frustrated!

With regard to PD and protein, main points to keep in mind are:

1) Protein interferes with Sinemet absorption. It's recommended to take
your Sinemet 30-60 minutes before eating, so it has a chance to be fully
absorbed.

2) If protein continues to be a problem, a menu consisting of a ratio of
7:1 carbohydrates to protein has helped most people who try it. It
allows a steady supply of protein throughout the day, without
interfering with the Sinemet. Some people have such good results that
they have cut down on their Sinement due to better absorption. A
company, Hearty Balance, makes a canned supplement, and granola-type
bars, that you can use to determine whether this plan will help you. You
can find more information at:

http://www.balancenutrition.com/

With regard to extra vitamins -- at your young age, you may not need
supplements if your usual menus are well-balanced. However, the
recommendations for calcium after age 50 are now 1200 mg per day, and
that can be difficult to get from food if you cannot drink milk (due to
protein).

> Diskensis is my primary problem but I guess that's typical for my "stage"!

If you experience dyskinesias, has your doctor checked your medication
schedule? It could be that you are over-medicated.

Finally, if you live in the Dallas area, I will speak at the DAPS meetin
on November 10, and will answer questions regarding protein and Sinemet
at that time.

My very best regards,
Kathrynne

--