At 08:07 AM 10/27/97 -0500, you wrote:
Marcia,
I can't give you any prdictions as to how your father will do with Mirapex.
I can tell you how it is working for me. I am 54/10 and I am in good
health. I was taking 25/100 generic Sinemet at the rate of 1 every two
hours and 25/100cr at 1 every three hours. I was still having significant
"off" times about one time per day. By significant I mean the "off" lasted
at least two hours. I am in my fourth week with Mirepex. I am taking 1/2 of
a 1.5 mg pill at six am and the other 1/2 at two pm. Now I am taking the
25/100 generic Sinemet every 2-1/2 hours and about 3 25/100cr. I don't have
any times when I am completely "off" except when I get up in the morning.
Otherwise I have not had a significant "off" time in the last four weeks. I
generally feel better and I think for me the Mirapex is the best thing
since sliced bread. It was just what I needed. This may not help much as
far as your father is concerned.

>I have followed the postings of those who have started Mirapex, and now
>my dad's nero would like to start him. Before doing so I would like your
>collective good wisdom to put together a list of questions to ask the
>doc before we use him as a guinea pig. A little background info: Dad is
>80, has had PD for 10+ years. He is on .25 permax, 1 1/2 - 3 times a day,
>sinemet 25/250  3 times a day. He has no tremor, major problem is inability
>to speak, major swallowing problems(he has had a PEG tube for 1+ years now),
>and lots of drooling. He has no dementia and no depression. My concern
>with starting a new drug is that he has never been very cognizant of changes
>in his body.  If you ask him how he feels he always says fine. My mother,
>his CG, does not handle any change in the routine well. I'm 60 miles away.
>She is not the type who could adjust medication as needed.  She just does
>what the doc says.  The neuro is good, but he is also the "Einstein" type
>and starts to glaze over when I quiz him. So I want to fax him my questions
>in advance of talking to him. Thanks in advance for your help.
>Marcia

Yours and His

David L. Moreland