At 02:26 PM 10/27/97 -0500, you wrote:
>***** To All: *****
>
>I would like to request that ANOTHER method-- perhaps a "PARALLEL
>LISTSERV" (perhaps call it "PD Digest-II") -- be established to carry all
>those pages upon pages of ENCODED items that too often (including in this
>past issue) FILL UP the PD Digest!
>
>What a NUISANCE it is to have to scroll past pages & pages & yet more
>pages of CODE, just to see if there's any useful humanly READABLE material
>posted!

<---- snip ---->

I have, in the past, subscribed to a number of ListServs and received my
mail in digest form.  My research into this issue pointed toward a
"feature" of Microsoft's mail package (Microsoft mail).  The encoded
information, to my knowledge is not at all within the control of the
ListServ program.  It is freely tendered by the mail program.  I suspect
many of you find oddly encoded files in your mail program's download
folder, or wherever attachments are saved (unless you delete them).  The
fix is at the source of the mail, not the ListServ.  The MS mail program
can be modified via the options to prevent the extra mail, but I don't
remember how because I don't use that package.  The bottom line, page down
quickly, or set your mail in the parkinsns List to NoDigest and deal with
the encoded messages individually.

Take care,
Jeff Jones, PT CG for Becky