10/27/97
Brian:
     On 10/24 I posted the message below to the Parkinsn
list, but I have not seen it . . . did you receive it?
     Stephan 53/7
On 10/24 Brian Collins wrote:
>>>. . . Remacemide . . . drug trials in the U.S. . . . . anyone
taking part in a trial?<<<
Hi Brian:
     One of the 10+ centers conducting a clinical trial of
remacemide hydrocholride is The Columbia-Presbyterian
Medical Center in NYC.  The study will last 6 weeks.
     Researchers report that this medication inhibits the
glutamine cells of the basel ganglia (the center of motor
control of the brain).  Researchers are trying to determine if
remacemide can alleviate the typical "wearing off" effect after
the optimum dosage of the medication has passed peak
dose.
     Glutamate is an amino acid which causes nerve cells in
the brain to be more active.  PWP experience a decrease of
dopamine in the brain which causes increased activity in the
subthalamic nucleus.  The increase in neural activity in turn
causes tremor, and stiffness.  Researchers believe that
increased glutamate activity may be toxic to nerve cells.
     Remacemide is considered a glutamate antagonist which
will block the glutamate effect and thereby enhance the
levodopa effect.
     Patients chosen for the study must be sensitive enough
to their condition that they can differentiate between an on or
off period while on levodopa.
    I will not be participating in any study.  Good luck.
        Stephan 53/7