Kathrynne, may I modify the article slightly that you copied from another
list?

>As we all know, it takes 1 calorie to heat 1 gram of
>water 1 degree centigrade. Translated into meaningful
>terms, this means that if you eat a very cold dessert
>(generally consisting of water in large part), the
>natural processes which raise the consumed dessert to
>body temperature during the digestive cycle literally
>sucks the calories out of the only available source,
>your body fat.

Instead, consider that a liter of ice water (weighing one
kilogram), served and drunk at near 0 degrees C (32 deg. F)
will in a short time be raised to the normal body temperature
of 37 degrees C (98.6 deg. F).  For each kilogram of water
drunk, that process takes approximately 37 kilogram-calories
(this being the actual measure of energy in food, though it
be called just plain "calories") as stated above.  The
recommendation that we commonly hear is that a person drink
8 glasses or two liters of water each day.  Therefore, by
operation of thermodynamic law, 74 kilogram-calories (2 x 37)
are extracted from body fat as the water's temperature is
normalized.

I don't have the figures handy, but if a one kilometer walk
burns 75 (kilogram-)calories, then one could break even by
sitting in one's chair and drinking two liters of ice water
- or maybe slightly less because of the trips one would have
to make to the bathroom - unless, of course, that is where
one chooses to sit.

And if one desires to save even more calories on their beer,
pizza, and ice cream diet, then they should eat their pizza
cold.

My point, aside from a bit of wet humor, is that there does
appear to be an effect, albeit second order, on one's caloric
usage based on the quantity and temperature of one's food and
liquid intake - indeed a larger effect than I had before
imagined.  Or is this not true also?

Art

Arthur Hirsch [] [log in to unmask] [] Lewisville, TX

               Always Remember This:
     Happiness Is Right, So Choose Happiness