Tatar, Leslie wrote:
> And, how can I get him to remember to snack and eat meals regularly.  He
> has a pretty busy schedule, and sometimes he won't eat anything until
> 5:00 in the evening.  He says he is rarely hungry, and he "forgets" to
> eat.  I live out of town so it's hard for me to check up on him.  And,
> when I do, he gets upset at me for nagging at him.

Dear Leslie,
Your love and concern for your father are apparent, and he surely
realizes this. But his situation is complex, and nutrition is probably
very low on his priority list

There are two barriers to your father's nutritional health:
1) Loss of appetite
2) His own unwillingness to do anything about it.

Both are likely caused by his medications and/or PD itself.

Your concerns are justified. Failure to eat properly/maintain weight can
lead to health problems, including:
-severe weight loss is a predictor for both illness and death
-loss of B vitamins can lead to confusion, behavior change, fatigue,
insomnia, poor appetite (worsening his present situation), and an
Alzheimer's-like dementia
-lack of calcium and vitamin D can lead to bone thinning and subsequent
fracture
-inadequate fiber and fluids can lead to bowel impaction
-inadequate fluid intake can cause dehydration, confusion, kidney
failure

However, there may not be much you can do, other than to
keep encouraging him to eat well. Perhaps if you contact his physicians
with your concerns, they might be willing to talk with him about his
need for nutrients, and perhaps refer him to a registered dietitian.
Let's hope that will be the case.

My very best regards,
Kathrynne

--