Hold the crow recipes

As Janet said there has been virtually no research (that at least I
could find) since the Italian study several years ago.  I am asking an
Italian MD regarding the reputation of the researchers,  the research
and the journal.

The Ginkgo Bilboa studies look more impressive as do the St. John's Wort
reports.

I favor research into Alternative treatments.  What I get on my soapbox
about is the wholesale adoption (and retail+ exploitation) of the "cure
of the week" without adequate data to back them up. And they are gobbled
up by those of us who are desperate for a cure or at least some relief
from our illnesses.  Drugs that go through the FDA have that research
behind them-  most alternative "nutrients"  do not-  just anecdotal
reports often from those who have self-interest in selling the
nutrients.  And because something occurs in nature is no guarantee that
it is not toxic-  even if it is therapeutic.  for example opium,
tobacco,  cyanide, l-dopa,  digitalis (which is a valuable medication in
small amounts and extremely toxic in large amounts),  Lithium,  ergot
etc.

What we need to do before we take anything prescribed or not is think
critically about the source, the purpose,  the known and unknowns risks
and the benefits.  As has been aptly discussed here many times is that
the MD is not always right-  but neither are the pseudoscientific
discipline always right or always wrong.

My concern is that we all think critically about our treatment using
proven treatments first,  Then,  consider entering into scientifically
controlled studies so that you add to knowledge for the rest of us as
well as potentially helping yourself.

Charlie

--

CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.