Barb, maybe you ought to stop trying to deal with them directly.  Use one
of the firms. Money magazine said SSA is now worse than the IRS.  At least
the IRS  has acknowledged there's a problem.  Money said that all the SSA
offices are allowed to make their own rules, that they act as fiefdoms.
Sic one of the firms on them. There's one in Chicago that operates
nationally.  Some list members have used them.  I don't recall the name,
but a friend used them to get SSDI for Lyme's Disease, which isn't even on
their list of approved diseases.  They sent someone to Philly to represent
him at his appeal hearing and they won.  Or, do what some have done.  Stop
taking the pills for a day or so.  Someone, I think it was David Boots, who
used to be a listmember, remember him (complained about things a bit)? - I
believe he successfully did that.  Or, do what the VA does.  If you don't
like their decision, try another hospital.  They apparently make their own
rules too re eligibility.etc., but they don't seem to care where you live
when you go there.  If you're over a certain income threshold it's their
option whether you get the drugs.  Try a different SSA office.  Hard to
believe that would work, but it just might.

And now...