Mary,

I responded to your survey as soon as I read it because it took me only a
few minutes.  I did it, however, even though surveys of this kind are
usually not reliable.  It is not that the questions you asked were
deficient in any way, and I believe you would be objective in evaluating
the answers.

It is because retrospective studies are usually not a reliable way to
establish correlations.  I say usually because if everyone on the list
answered and gave the same answer, you would indeed have uncovered
something of value.  But, results seldom turn out that way.  Usually the
correlations one might observe in retrospective studies have no validity
and are useful only as a suggestion of one thing to look for in a more
reliable subsequent study.

This point was made an article by William Feller in the throwaway
periodical 'Scientific Research' many years ago.  I remember it well
because it impressed me so much.  Feller is the author of the book for a
course on probability that I took.  He was the first to present the subject
in the now accepted way.  The book went through a number of printings.  He
is well respected.

His article in 'Scientific Research' was short and to the point.  He
probably chose that magazine because he wanted as many people as possible
to get the message, which no doubt is widely known by probability theorists
and mathematical statisticians, but seems frequently to be ignored by
epidemiologists.

Feller said that if you consider 100 uncorrelated random variables
generated by a computer and calculated the correlations between all pairs
of them, you would find at least one pair with a convincingly large
numerical correlation.  I do not recall the exact number, but I think it is
something like 25 per cent or more, maybe even 50 per cent.  Statisticians
would say that value of the numerical correlation is  'statistically
significant.'  There are also a surprisingly large number  of pairs for
which the calculated correlations are large enough that someone who didn't
know the source of the data might say that there is convincing evidence of
a correlation.   Again I do not recall the exact numbers, but I think they
are in the 5 percent to 10 percent range.  All this for random numbers with
absolutely no real (i.e. causal) correlation.

I am not an expert in statistics, and so I do not have definitive
information to give you about this.  I certainly am not skilled in
designing a careful study.  But I think Feller's point leads one to be
cautious about the interpretation of retrospective studies.

Baldwin, 63/4
8x25/100 carbi/levo-dopa,  5 mg Eldepryl per day