Robert

The point you make is sound. It is discussed before on the list. One does not
    need much knowledge about  mathematics to understand why. I have written
    about it to the list after Ivan's survey on the relation of diabetes and
    parkinson. We know about these two diseases that they have both a high
    frequency in the population. One can knowing the frequency of both and

    supposing they to are independent calculate in what percentage we are
    supposed to see both diseases in the same patient. Which in this paradigm
    means that if the number of diabetes is for people with parkinson the same
    as for people without parrkinson. This seems clear But in doing research
    one does not examine a whole population but a sample. One thing that we do
    know is that human tend to see a causal relationship, if two things with an
    unknown cause are happening in a certain time sequence. So one can expect
    that a person who happen to have diabetes and after starting to take
    insuline, will get symptoms of parkinsons disease will tend to believe the
    insuline caused the parkinson.  If one asks wether that could be true and
    has the idea not been taken seriously one will stop talking about it. But
    everyone can understand his reaction on an article in a paper or listserv
    which mentions the relation beteen the two diseases and whose author is
    convinced that relation exists and wants to make that an approved fact will
    be quite different from that of people who have only one or none of both
    conditions. part of this reaction will be they are more prone to answer the
    survey. And so the survey will show a greater number of people with both
    diseases as could be expected only only from the respective frequencies of
    both.
    To my opinion this difficulty could be solved by having a survey with all
    known symptoms of parkinson. Having this answered by a husdred people, one
    can not really prove anything, but relations between symptoms and patterns
    of symptoms,  found in this way are not without any meaning.
    I don't know wether this is done allready. If someone knows, i'd like to
    hear.

                      Ida Kamphuis53\13
Mary,