----------
Dear List Friends

> >My husband(79 y o) has had a slight tremor in right hand for about 18
months.
> > 18 months ago, our regular  doctor said it was not Parkinson, and did a
Cat scan which showed nothing unusual for man his age.

> >Since then, my husband has continued to get worse.  Because he is
treated with lupron shots to keep his prostate cancer in remission, I
thought that the lack of testosterone was responsible for the decline in
functioning and discussed with regular doctor and urologist the possibility
of stopping the lupron at least for a while.

Then my husband got a urinary tract infection, and got much, much worse.
The regular doctor prescribed antibiotic for infection and ordered a Neuro
consult.  The diagnosis was PD on 24 September.  Classic
> >symptoms-lack of facial expression, bent leg walk, soft husky voice,
> >difficulty arising from chair and bed, lack of arm swing when walking,
> >resting hand tremor.
> >On Sept 24, my husband started taking one 25/100 Sinemet three times a
day.  Slowly increased to six per
> >day by October 10.  No improvement - actually a lot less energy,
somewhat less mobility
> >and total loss of appetite.  On Oct 10 reduced back to three per day.

> >On October 20, he was taken off Sinemet and put on Permax .05 once per
day.
> >He Gradually increased to five per day (.25 total) by Oct 24.  Started
"falling".  Actually all his
> >muscles suddenly turned to jelly, but he did not lose consciousness,
just
> >total collapse.  He was taken off all medication on Oct 25.  We will
call the neuro's  office
> >again Monday.

> >Our neuro has best reputation of any neuro in Tampa.  Nothing but raves
from
> >anyone who has ever had any contact with him, including a caregiver
whose parkie sees a different Dr.

> >But the doctor seems to be questioning his original diagnosis of PD due
to the non-response to sinemet and permax.

> >Does anyone out there have any thoughts on this?  Many of you are more
knowledgeable and experienced than I and I hope you
> >have some insight into this.

The neuro thought my husband would have an immediate and
> >positive responce to sinemet.

By tonight, having been off all meds for about 30 hours, he seems improved.
 He is actually eating a little.

Has anyone out there been unresponsive to sinemet and permax?  What drug
did you end up on?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Ellen Peck
CG for Steve 79/1