hi ralph

you wrote:
>Does Estrogen replacement therapy (ERT) have an adverse effect on PD?
>Has anyone had experience with ERT and PD?
>Dr Sessions et al in Med Hypothesis 1994 April 42(4): 280-282 refers to
>"numerous studies" showing an adverse effect on PD symptoms when ERT was
>given.  However I can't find any other references for this subject.

ralph, you have touched on one of my pet peeves

my understanding is that 'numerous studies' is a slight exaggeration
i believe that there have been numerous anecdotal reports
but pitifully few actual clinical studies

i have a slew of info on female hormones and how they affect pd
which i could send to you separately if you wish

the bottom line for me is that
i believe high levels of estrogen virtually wipe out sinemet's effect

these high levels can occur predictably during normal menses cycles
or erratically during the craziness of hormone swings in menopause
or, possibly, by using hrt

for example, in re menopausal me,
my med/symptom control routine is pretty smooth and predictable
with 'off' periods of maybe 15 minutes a couple of times a day

however, when estrogen rears its ugly head
i can be 'off' for four or five hours at a stretch
many times over a period of several days

apparently there are one or two med steps that could be attempted
to help address this situation [based on no studies, though]
but i'm pretty chicken about fooling with my brain chemistry
and figure, hey, i got through puberty, i can get through this

my impression is that once the estrogen levels drop after menopause
there is no longer any interference with the sinemet/levodopa

with love to you and yours

your cyber-sis

janet

janet paterson - 50/9 - sinemet/selegiline/prozac - [log in to unmask]