I am making this long post in tribute to a man who was, in large
part, responsible for my joining this List some years ago.  Dr.
Miller was my ex-father-in-law (I married his daughter after the
death of my first wife from cancer, and the marriage was fraught with
all kinds of pain which I will not relate here; we have been divorced
for some time), with whom I had maintained contact both
professionally and with love and care.

David was a retired Professor of Medicine from SUNY Buffalo (where
he had founded the Department of Medicine there), and, at the time of
his death, was living with his son in Pepeekeo, Hawaii, after living in the
San Francisco Bay Area following his retirement from Buffalo.  David had
trained countless physicians during his long career and was highly
respected in his field.

Shortly after I began to have a relationship with my ex-wife (my
second wife was a close friend of my first wife), I got to know David
really well.  He opened himself to my three daughters from my widowed
marriage and my girls looked upon him as "Grandpa".  In 1987, shortly
after his daughter and I were married, he had a fall and sustained a
serious injury to a leg (which required multiple surgeries); in
retrospect, his fall was due to incipient Parkinson's disease.
During his recovery from the leg surgery, he came to live with me for
a short time; and, it was during that time, when I could observe him
daily, that I became aware that he had early PD.  When his own
physician ridiculed the diagnosis, I "took him on" as a patient, and
prescibed Sinemet, following which he had a dramatic improvement; and
after many months of inactivity, was able to resume a normal
lifestyle.

He had many good years afterwards (Eldepryl and other drugs were
subsequently added), and he moved to Hawaii (The Big Island) in the
summer of 1993.  I tried to maintain contact with David after that
move; but the stresses in the family were such that it was difficult
(my wife's siblings were not pleased that, despite the divorce, David
and I remained close).  In the last months, his condition
deteriorated; and I received word, just yesterday, that he had
peacefully died in his sleep.  He was 93 years old, had more than ten
"good years" after diagnosis; and retained his mental abilities "to
the end".

During his long lifetime, David Kimball Miller brought relief of
suffering to many.  He knew that I was an active participant on this
List and enjoyed the printed postings which I sent him from time to
time.  He will be missed by his family and colleagues.  I offer this
post to his memory.

Best,

Bob

ROBERT A. FINK, M. D., F.A.C.S.
Neurological Surgery
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, CA  94704-2636  USA
Phone:  (510) 849-2555   FAX:  (510) 849-2557

WWW:  <http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/>

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"