Depression and PD sometimes travel together.  PD may
be (partially) caused by the release of free radicals.  So
does anyone know whether "high metabolism" and an
increase in free radicals travel together.

Abnormally High Metabolism in an
Area of The Brain May Account For
Many Symptoms of Depression, Say
Pitt Researchers /ADVANCE FOR
RELEASE AT 5 P.M. EST
TUESDAY, OCT. 28/

 October 28, 1997

 /ADVANCE/ PITTSBURGH, Oct. 28 /PRNewswire/ via Individual Inc. -- Using
 positron emission tomography (PET) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI),
 researchers at UPMC Health System have found evidence that many emotional
 symptoms of depression may be caused by abnormally high metabolism in an
 almond-sized area in the center of the brain called the amygdala
(pronounced a-mig
 da-la).

 This finding, reported today at the 1997 Society for Neuroscience Annual
Meeting
 in New Orleans, may lead to greater understanding of how antidepressant and
 mood stabilizing treatments work and eventually to more effective
treatments for
 depression and bipolar disorder, which together affect nearly 19 million
people in
 the United States.

 Wayne Drevets, M.D., associate professor of psychiatry and radiology at the
 UPMC, explained that by superimposing PET images, which tend to be blurry,
 over crisp pictures obtained with MRI, they were able to further study the
brain
 structure implicated earlier this year as holding a key role in the
development of
 depression. The technology also enabled them to demonstrate for the first
time that
 depressed people with bipolar disorder, also known as manic-depressive
illness,
 have abnormally high glucose metabolism in this area as well.

 The study involved PET images of glucose metabolism and MRI images of brain
 structure in 32 subjects with major depressive disorder or bipolar
disorder and 15
 healthy controls who had never had a major depressive episode.

 "Antidepressant drug treatment, which is effective at both improving and
 preventing depressive episodes, reduces amygdala metabolism," explained Dr.
 Drevets. "What we now know suggests that if we can develop drugs that more
 effectively reduce metabolism in this structure, we may be able to better
treat or
 prevent depression as well as mania."

 Abnormal metabolism in the amygdala is central to many of the symptoms of
 depression because of the structure's importance in mediating emotional
 processing. The amygdala helps the brain learn the emotional significance of
 sensory signals, such as situations that present a threat, and organize
the way
 those signals are expressed, from rapid heart beat to facial expressions.
Because of
 its key role in producing such things as fear, dysphoria and sometimes
vivid recall
 of past emotionally charged events, abnormal activity in this small
section of the
 brain may be responsible for the development of anxiety, panic attacks and
many
 symptoms of depression, continued Dr. Drevets.

 The Pitt researchers are now studying why the amygdala has abnormally high
 metabolism and how this metabolism affects the structure itself. New
studies will
 show the functioning of the amygdala as subjects perform tasks,
demonstrate the
 function of the chemical receptors that control amygdala activity and
assess the
 changes in these measures during antidepressant treatment.

 "We hope our continuing research will ultimately lead to a clearer
understanding of
 major depression and mania and to more effective treatments, " concluded Dr.
 Drevets.

 For additional information about UPMC Health System, please access
 http://www.upmc.edu.

 SOURCE University of Pittsburgh Medical Center

 /CONTACT: Craig Dunhoff, e-mail, [log in to unmask], or Lisa Rossi,
 e-mail, [log in to unmask], of UPMC, 412-624-2607, or fax,
 412-624-3184/ /Web site: http://www.upmc.edu/

 [Copyright 1997, PR Newswire]

John Stafford -- http:/www2.netcom.com/~johnws/index.htm --
................... Si fallatis officium, quaestor infinitius eat se
quicquam scire de factis vestris.