hello all [again]

john cottingham, lolling on the ozzie gold coast, informed us recently:
>The archives are not searchable anymore using the tools I used to post
>regularly. Since the Listserv changed versions of the program they use to
>package and deliver the parkinsn list and others, searchable archives
>became a thing of the past...
>A friend and I created a program that let me perform the same service on my
>machine in Oklahoma City. I weekly downloaded the logs and compiled it into
>a database, from which I performed manual searches from requests....
>I have been considering abandoning the archive, since it has been a 'labor
>of love' and it is very labor intensive but will make that decision later.
>The latest version of Listserv supports the archive again....BUT, evidently
>the University of Toronto doesn't wish to convert...since it takes money
>and schools of higher education are always short of it....
>Probably, the Current Topics list will be revised and I will focus my
>attention to that and the Drug Database.

this message from john almost slipped past me
and i'm mighty glad it didn't

the archives are so important and so unique to this cyber-family
that, in my humble opinion, loss of the search capability
would be tantamount to a crime and a tragic waste of resources

as a demo of simon coles' 'James' archive site's searchability
i remembered a phrase i used in a post i sent in two years ago:
so i did a search on "planting a seed" and lo and behold:
[the date is still a bit off - but the message is there]