Re: "limited term of Sinemet"
Brian:
     My neurologist agrees with your 5 neuros (4 calling birds,
three french hens, oops):
     The point in time at which a PWP starts drug therapy
with levodopa (Sinemet) does not activate some doomsday
scenario that results in increased disability after 5, 10, 15
years of treatment.
     As the disease (death of brain cells) progresses there is
less natural dopamine released from the nerve cells and
fewer cells to process the levodopa.  I do not think eldepryl
(selegiline) is the complete neuroprotective answer, but my
opinion (after 7 years) is that it couldn't hurt (flawed studies
to the contrary).  One recent study suggested a positive
result with just 20mg eldepryl (four  5mg pills) in a seven day
period.  As a result of this PD list multilogue I discussed with
my neuro cutting my eldepryl to one 5mg pill in the a.m. per
day.  He agreed.
     To avoid putting all my nerve cells in the same basket, I
also supplement my diet with vitamins, minerals and herbs to
achieve the maximum anti-oxidant affect.  I think the cell
death is tied into increased free radicals in the blood.
     By the way: which is more useless?  "total rubbish?" or
"absolute rubbish?"
Stephan 53/7